Using BerryGPS-IMU with openplotter on sailboat

Forums Technical Support for BerryGPS and BerryGPS-IMU Using BerryGPS-IMU with openplotter on sailboat

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #12168
    mgrouch
    Participant

    Hello,

    I’ve installed BerryGPS-IMU v3 into raspberry pi 4 set up with openplotter 2.0.0 beta. I’ve installed it as a hat by soldering upper pins part that came with it. I was able to get GPS location via /dev/serial0 and IMU gyro and magnetometer readings via I2C as well as pressure and temperature.

    The humidity readings I get show 0.

    The board seems a bit loose on pi pins. I see this message in NMEA logs

     

    1573318803597;N;$GNTXT,01,01,01,More than 100 frame errors, UART RX was disabled*70

     

    Sometimes after reboots it disappears, but I do not get GPS fix at all.

     

    I feel I can’t really rely on this board as my main GPS source for my boat chart plotter. Takes too long to obtain the fix and there is this weird error. Can this board be assisted from another GPS via NMEA for initial GPS fix?

    How can I fix the “RX disabled” issue? Is it due to my bad soldering or due to shaking on its pins?

    Thanks,

    —MG

     

    #12169
    PeterP
    Participant

    This looks like a hardware issue.
    can you upload an photo of how you soldered the header on

    Peter --OzzMaker.com --

    #12183
    mgrouch
    Participant

    White dots are actually light blicks.

    thanks

    #12203
    PeterP
    Participant

    that looks like it should work.
    Can you please run the solder iron across the header pins again.. some of them don't look completely soldered.

    Peter --OzzMaker.com --

    #12957
    dougchansen
    Participant

    I am having the same issue with my V3.

    at first, it worked fine and would get a fix in a few minutes but recently i have no connection to the GPS. the IMU is working and sending data but i get no connection or data type recieved from the GPS via the TTL

    Any ideas on how to fix this communication issue?

    Below is a log of the data that openplotter sees with only the V3 wired up.

    $GNGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*2E
    $GNGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*2E
    $GPGSV,1,1,00*79
    $GLGSV,1,1,00*65
    $APHDM,25.989,M*0C
    $APXDR,A,0.142,D,ROLL*6E
    $APXDR,A,0.297,D,PTCH*77
    $GNGLL,,,,,,V,N*7A
    $APHDM,25.851,M*08
    $APXDR,A,0.154,D,ROLL*69
    $APXDR,A,0.303,D,PTCH*7B
    $GNTXT,01,01,01,More than 100 frame errors, UART RX was disabled*70
    $GNRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*4D
    $GNVTG,,,,,,,,,N*2E
    $GNGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*56
    $GNGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*2E
    $GNGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*2E
    $GPGSV,1,1,00*79
    $APHDM,25.975,M*0F
    $APXDR,A,0.153,D,ROLL*6E
    $APXDR,A,0.305,D,PTCH*7D
    $GLGSV,1,1,00*65
    $GNGLL,,,,,,V,N*7A
    $APHDM,25.832,M*0D
    $APXDR,A,0.112,D,ROLL*6B
    $APXDR,A,0.304,D,PTCH*7C
    $GNRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*4D
    $GNVTG,,,,,,,,,N*2E
    $GNGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*56
    $GNGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*2E
    $GNGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*2E
    $GPGSV,1,1,00*79
    $GLGSV,1,1,00*65
    $APHDM,25.694,M*0F

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Blip, blop, bloop...