Home › Forums › Forums › Technical Support for BerryGPS and BerryGPS-IMU › How to use serial port if GPS is switched to i2c?
- This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by alexose.
- October 19, 2022 at 9:17 am #17502alexoseParticipant
I followed the directions for switching the GPS unit over to i2c here: https://ozzmaker.com/accessing-gps-via-i2c-on-a-berrygps-imu/
While i2c seems to work, I'm not able to use the newly freed serial port. It works fine if I take the berrygps-imu off the board.
Maybe the GPS unit is continuing to transmit on the same TX/RX? Any advice would be appreciated.October 19, 2022 at 12:43 pm #17503Mark WilliamsKeymaster
i2c access for the GPS was only considered when connecting the BerryGPS-IMU via QWIIC cable. However, we have had a number of users still want to use the BerryGPS-IMU while sitting on top of the Raspberry Pi.
Right now, you have two options;
1. connect via QWIIC cable and not have the BerryGPS-IMU sitting on the Raspberry Pi.
2. Remove the two inductors circled below.
If you want serial connection back, you can place a solder blob where the inductors where to close the connection. The GPS will still work perfectly fine without them.
BTW: in the next version of BerryGPS-IMU, we will include jumpers on the back so it will be easier to break and restore the tx/rx connections
Mark --OzzMaker.com --October 20, 2022 at 6:54 am #17554alexoseParticipant
Thanks for the excellent, detailed answer! This is super helpful.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.